Saturday, May 10, 2014

After I spent all that time...

BST

...saying that nobody wanted 29+ fat-front bikes... local SLC guy Paul wanted one. Here it is, as yet undecaled, on the maiden voyage. Of course, he didn't actually mount the 3" front tire yet, either, so that giant fork clearance probably looks silly from a different angle. And refusing to cut your steerer tube seems to be a theme around here.

Geometry for the bored:
-69.5 HTA (with the Knard - it's probably almost a degree steeper with that skinny tire in the pic) and 55mm offset fork (yup, Jones-style) for 85mm trail and 637mm front center.
-Non-suspension-corrected with curvy skinny blades that Paul calls "probably the most compliant fork I've ever ridden"
-42cm chainstays and 305mm BB height.
-Plenty of room for a big 2.3-2.4 tire in the rear, room for anything Knard sized or smaller in front.
-Curvy everywhere.
-A (!!!) Niner EBB. Yes, I actually found an EBB I like. I still like sliders/rockers/etc better but as of now, I will build you a single/non-tandem frame with an EBB as long as it's a Niner one. Thanks to the Niner folks for coming up with a design for an EBB that sucks less!

9 comments:

Eric Wever said...

Digging the new crown/curved blade look.

Eric N. said...

Its an uncut theme. Love the extra foot of brake lines too...

dicky said...

He needs a bagel.

Adam M. said...

Nice Work! Let's get some more pics from some real angles to see the goodness; fork front view, crank side profile of the whole bike and the BB cluster. Beauty.

Aaron said...

Just out of curiousity, was that the PF30 Niner EBB (the, uh, Biocentric 30), or the new old one (Biocentric II)?

Eric Keller said...

when I saw that picture, had an involuntary twinge where my uncut steerer impacted my groin. Rock gardens and uncut steerers don't mix.

Anonymous said...

Just curious why someone spending $1600 on a custom frame would have it only be able to fit a 3" front but not a rear tire? If your spending all that money on a custom frame, why not have the rear to be able to also take a 3" tire? You can make a frame fit a 3" tire with a standard width 73 mm BB so it seems kjnd of strange to not do so.

Walt said...

Hey Anon -

That's probably a better question for Paul but when we designed it, he specifically was NOT looking to run a Knard on the back. He wanted one on the front purely for the passive suspension.

Obviously I'm happy to build for bigger tires too!

Anonymous said...

To answer some questions: It is the Biocentric II EBB. No issues, (but only has 50 miles on it.) Brake lines are now cut to proper lengths (thanks, Walt), and steerer tube has also been cut down. I did leave a little nub on there in hopes for a bagel one day.

I didn't want to go with a Knard in the back because I wanted a tight wheelbase and frankly, I'm not manly enough to be dragging a 3" tire up some of the steep climbs around here on a singlespeed. Plus, it's really not needed where I ride. In fact, I don't know if I even need one up front. Walt's fork is that good. But I will probably switch out the 2.35 Ikons up front for something with bit more grip after a wash out last weekend.

-Paul